Art, Steve,

thank you for your help and answers to my numbering questions. Changing
the outline, as well as the numbering of figures and tables was
surprisingly easy. I was really worried that I'd screw up all my
paragraph styles. Especially, since I often read on this list how
people have difficulties with inconsistent settings in the book and its
documents. Yet introducing <$volnum> and <$chapnum> was painless, and I
needed only to fix a few tags. The numbering issue with anchored frames
became obsolete as soon as I changed the numbering of figures and
tables to include the chapter, and to restart numbering in each file.

Again thank you for the tremendous support on this list.
Have a great time,

Dona

Begin forwarded message:

> [...]
>> only 2 numbering  tags, one for Figures and one for Tables. Also, the
>> paragraph tag for split Figures with panels numbered 1a), 1b) uses the
>> same numbering tag. However, these  panels are not included in the
>> List
>> of Figures. The caption for the whole figure that gets into the LOF is
>> either a paragraph Figure or  FigureWithSource.
>> Again, the goal it to change the numbering to Chapter?Figure  or
>> Chapter?Table,  respectively. I guess that I can handle that with the
>> correct structure in the  empty-brackets-approach, where Figure and
>> FigureWithSource have to use the same item in the list. To get the
>> 'Figures with panels',  I'll probably need another item in the
>> structure. Again, the question is whether there is a better way of
>> doing this, using the chapter numbering definition in the book? Is it
>> possible to use a variable definition like <$chapnum> in the
>> auto-numbering of a paragraph tag?
>
> Sure, use <$chapnum> for this -- that's what it's designed for. But it
> would only replace the set of brackets you're using for chapter
> numbering.
>

>> ?> I'm also grateful for any tips how to make these changes across the
>> book without FrameScript.
>
> Setting the numbering at the book level and using the <$chapnum> and
> <$volnum> variables would be the easiest way to do it. If you have to
> redo tags, you'd just import the new formats into multiple files at
> once, again at the book level.
>

>> ?> How bad is it to have 2 chapters in one file? I don't mind to split
>> the file. I'm asking purely out of curiosity, and I already brace
>> myself for the outcry this question might provoke.
>
> It's fairly standard procedure. That's why the numbering properties in
> the book file allow you to set the numbering for multiple files to the
> same chapter number... It's also one additional reason to use the
> <$chapnum> variable.  The file=chapter thing is just human tidiness --
> the computer doesn't care.
>

>> Last but not least, all these Lists of ? are taking up too much space.
>> The closest that I could move them together is to start each file on
>> the next available page. Is it possible to have all the List of
>> Figures, Tables, and Paragraphs in one file but as three separate
>> lists?
>
> You''d have to set it up with text insets. More both than it'd be
> worth.
> My first question would be if you're sure you need all these lists,
> and what value they add for the reader. Combined with a TOC, it looks
> as if they provide duplacation....
>
> You could include more para types in your TOC, but that's bulk that up
> too.
>
> --
> Art Campbell
> art.campbell at gmail.com
>  "... In my opinion, there's nothing in this world beats a '52 Vincent
>               and a redheaded girl." -- Richard Thompson

Begin forwarded message: