As far the "rivers," there is an option in Word when using justified text to ge
t rid of the rivers. It does not look good on screen when using this option, bu
t the printed version is excellent. See the article below.

The name of the option below is for Word 2000. I can't find that option in Word
 2003. There's another option called "Set the width of a space like WordPerfect
 5.x." Perhaps that does the same thing.

Regards,
Shmuel Wolfson

The 'rivers' (rivers =
gaps between the words in paragraphs) are never as well adjusted in Word
as you'd find in a professionally published document.  It sounds
terribly pernickety I know, but I would migrate from Word for this
reason alone.

The following article below the picture is from Woody's Offfice Watch email
list. It is important for us to consider this option when composing a
manual using Justification for paragraph styles.