As I don't which template you're trying to use and I don't have FM 8
installed, the details may vary slightly.

Regardless, most structured designs provide for some sort of title or
caption for a Figure, which usually is a composite element containing
both an element for the text and a second element for the image itself.

You can use the element catalog to help guide you - you would set the
options to show you elements valid for working start to finish or maybe
even just allowed anywhere in the parent element.  Then, when you click
inside the figure element, you should see the choices such as "Title"
and "Graphic" as the only options (or at least only ones with heavy
checkmarks).

A text line is a simple FrameMaker graphic object placed on top of the
page or image in the drawing order, not an element and thus why the
structure view goes blank - you no longer are really working with
structure when you try to add it.

Regarding lines breaking, I presume you mean breaking awkwardly.  But
unless you are writing exclusively in very short sentences you will have
breaks you don't necessarily like in the structured text.

Settings for the paragraph properties can help, such as changing
justification settings to 'left' instead of 'justified', changing the
minimum and maximum word spacing, allowing hyphenation, and so forth.
Depending on the template, these may be modified via the paragraph
designer or explicitly specified in the EDD.

You could define a 'break' element, set it as a text range and insert a
prefix (or suffix) of \n - a soft return or newline character - that you
insert where you wish instead of using the non-breaking spaces to keep
words together.

On Tuesday, October 02, 2007 05:12 PM Joel [eleysium at gmail.com] wrote:

| Preface: I am trying to learn Structured Frame, XML and DITA
| - it's all new | to me.
|
| 1. I am using one of Frame 8's structured templates, and I inserted
| a graphic. Now I want to add a caption, and I tried using a text
| line. the Structure View window goes blank when I click on the text
| line. Do I need to create an element to reflect this text line?
|
| 2. A general, dumb Frame question: How do I ensure that lines aren't
| breaking, other than <Ctrl> + Spacebar between words?
|
| Thanks,
|
| JW

- Lester
Lester C. Smalley              Email: lsmalley AT infocon DOT com
Information Consultants, Inc.  Phone: 302-239-2942 FAX: 302-239-1712
Yorklyn, DE  19736               Web: www.infocon.com