There is a difference between being "first to invent" and "first to
successfully produce and/or market." The world is full of brilliant ideas that
never go (and never went) anywhere. Xerox is PARC, not Park. What they
developed was the concept of GUI, based on user interaction with a computer.
The opposing view, that apps should be dumbed-down to the LCD, won out. A pity.

http://www.tekwrytrs.com/Specializing in the Design, Development, and
Production of:Technical Documentation - Online Content - Enterprise Websites

CC: gflato at nanometrics.com; framers at lists.frameusers.comFrom: ronsmiller
at comcast.netSubject: Re: radical revamping of techpubsDate: Fri, 19 Oct 2007
14:31:36 -0400To: tekwrytr at hotmail.comBill Gates, first to market? Gates has
proven anything by innovative. He's the quintessential, 'let the other guys put
it on the market and we'll steal it and market it better.'

DOS? He bought the company?
Windows? Stole the idea from Apple (who stole it from Xerox Park)
Internet Explorer? Netscape was their first.
The Zune? Don't make me laugh.

Gates has been watching and copying for as long as I remember.

Ron

Ron Miller
Freelance Technology Writing Since 1988
Contributing Editor, EContent Magazine

email: ronsmiller at ronsmiller.com
blog: http://byronmiller.typepad.com
web: http://www.ronsmiller.com

Winner of the 2006 and 2007 Apex Award for Publication Excellence/Feature
Writing