From: Combs, Richard [mailto:richard.co...@polycom.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 23, 2007 4:30 PM
To: Tammy Van Boening; Framers at FrameUsers.com
Subject: RE: PDF contradiction?

Tammy Van Boening wrote:

> ... According to all the hulla-bulloo about this 8.0
> release, I can enable commenting rights in a PDF so that my
> Adobe Reader users can participate in shared reviews of the
> PDF. So, I followed the instructions to the "T" provided in
> the Adobe Acrobat Online Help and this is the problem:
>

> 1.)     Create the PDF.
>
> 2.)     In the open PDF, choose Comments > Enable For Commenting in
> Adobe Reader and save the PDF.
>
> 3.)     Start the wizard to initiate the shared review. Step 4 in this
> wizard is to select the PDF that is to be reviewed (natch!),
> so I select the PDF that I saved in Step 2, but here's the rub:

DISCLAIMER: I'm using Acro 7; undoubtedly, Adobe has made random changes
to what it calls things and the details of how they work.

That said, I think you're doing two things that are similar, but not the
same, and you should be doing one or the other, but not both. It's
understandable; the help explains them poorly (at least in 7).

If you're going to email the PDF to someone and want their comments
back, all you need to do is step 2 above. A Save As dialog prompts you
to save a copy of the PDF (you can overwrite the original if you
insist). Send that copy, which has the "special features" enabled to
allow commenting in Reader. *Don't do step 3 (the wizard). I've done
this many times, and never used the wizard.

You need one of the wizards (under Comments > Send for Review) _only_ if
you want to see multiple people's comments merged into one document. In
that case, *don't* select Comments > Enable For Commenting first; just
go straight to the wizard.

HTH!
Richard

------
Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom
303-223-5111
------
rgcombs AT gmailDOTcom
303-777-0436
------

NOTICE BY HEALTH LANGUAGE, INC.
This message, as well as any attached document, contains information from
Health Language, Inc. that is confidential.  The information is intended only
for the use of the addressee named above.  If you are not the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution
or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this message or its
attachments is strictly prohibited, and may be unlawful.  If you have received
this message in error, please delete all electronic copies of this message and
its attachments, if any, destroy any hard copies you may have created, without
disclosing the contents, and notify the sender immediately.  Unless expressly
stated otherwise, nothing contained in this message should be construed as a
digital or electronic signature, nor is it intended to reflect an intention to
make an agreement by electronic means.