Now here's a strange thing. One of the bad character transpositions is the
substitution of a '5' for an '='.

If I create a new equation in the document that has the bad equations and
insert an equality into it, I get a '? 5 ?' rather than a '? = ?' as expected.

However, if I create a new blank document and do the same thing there, I get '?
= ? as expected.

It gets better: if I copy the '? = ?' from the clean FrameMaker document into
the weird one, it is transformed into '? 5 ?'!

Thus it seems to be to do with the FrameMaker document and not with any weird
font-type problem.

I tried MIF-washing the document in question, but it had no effect.

I'm stumped. Anyone any ideas?

--
Steve