OK, this thread seems to be turning into a bugs list:

I've just noticed that there seems to be some sort of "time-out" on the
F8 and F9 shortcut keys (to apply a character format and paragraph
format, respectively) in FM8.

In earlier versions of FM, you could press F9, type the first (couple
of) character(s) of a paragraph format and then ENTER.  You could see
the names of the paragraph format appear in the lower-left corner of
your FrameMaker window. This was a really nice feature: you didn't have
to let go of your keyboard to use the mouse and you didn't have to
display the catalogs, which saved some screen real estate. Now, in FM8,
when I press F9, I just get to see the names of paratags for 2 seconds
in the lower-left corner of my FM window, which makes it impossible to
use these shortcuts.

Yves Barbion
Documentation Architect
Adobe-Certified FrameMaker Instructor