Karene Millar asked:

> I am responsible for maintaining the templates at my current company
> and I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on the best place to
> store the template version. Ideas are: in a variable or perhaps on a
> reference page.
>
> To be clear - I have a version number and date associated with the
> template so when you have a document you can look at it and identify
> the template version/date to see if it is using the latest templates.

My own preference is to document templates in the dummy body text
frame on the master pages. Anything that is contained in the body frame
on a master page does not appear on the body pages, ever; only the
"background" (e.g. header and footer) frames of the master pages
hold content that actually appears on the body pages.

One advantage to putting the template meta-data on a master page
is that it's much easier to find it there (particurly if you put it on one
of the default master pages) than to have to find the right reference
pages. And unlike a variable, you have *lots* of room to describe the
template (e.g. what has been changed/added since the last version)
and even show examples as well as identifying the template version
by number and/or date.

-Fred Ridder

http://www.gowindowslive.com/Mobile/Landing/Messenger/Default.aspx?Locale=en-US?ocid=TAG_APRIL