Now I see.

That is FrameMaker's normal behavior...so the need for scripting...

If I understand you have 50 text insets...with 30
with one conditional tag and 20 with
another....when you update the text insets the
conditional format on their marker disappears...

Sounds like a job for a different book for each need...

Couldn't each text inset become a document in a
book and then by controlling the numbering the
first 10 text insets are numbered like section 1,
the next ten become numbered as section 2, etc...

No conditional notions here...

Does that help?