First, in case Dov or someone else from Adobe doesn't step in here,
please observe that there is a legal limit to how you can use current
FrameMaker versions unattended without a server license
(http://www.adobe.com/products/fmserver/).
   As far as I can tell, the "Adobe? FrameMaker? Server 8 software
extends the power of Adobe FrameMaker 8 software" only in terms of the
license and the price tag; ie., technically it is no different from the
desktop edition.
   Anyway, a completely automated pagination service would probably
require the server license.

I have not tried using DZBatcher with FrameMaker 8 yet. I'd love to hear
about it :)
   Don't know about Vista either. We avoid it like the plague for now.
DZBatcher is OK with Windows XP.

Is it easy to use? Well, it does what it is supposed to do, which isn't
much compared to more complete FrameMaker scripting environments like
FrameScript. DZBatcher controls a few important FrameMaker functions,
and is meant to be invoked from a shell script. Use your preferred
scripting language to do the checkout, write the DZBatcher scripts, and
invoke DZBatcher.
   DZBatcher, being a command line tool, can read commands piped in from
stdin (and write to stdout). But pipes doesn't work all that well on
Windows, so I have DZBatcher read the commands from a file.
   I tend to drive the process from a Makefile. Your in-house developer
knows about 'make' <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Makefile>. If she
doesn't, then please ask me for more information.

There are a few alternatives somewhat similar in scope to DZBatcher.

- The 'runfm' command from Omsys Mif2Go
http://www.omsys.com/dcl/xhtml/runfm.htm

See for example
http://www.omsys.com/dcl/xhtml/runfm_0016_3433runningasinglemif2goconversionorprintjob.htm

Download the demo version of Mif2Go to try out 'runfm'
http://www.omsys.com/dcl/download.htm

- CudSpan DoBatch, available from Leximation
http://www.leximation.com/toolsearch/?dev=CUD

DoBatch expects you to open a batch script file interactively.

Kind regards
Peter Ring