FrameMaker 7.0, structured, Mac OS X 10.4.11

I am seeing a strange problem that I cannot recall having encountered before.
Xrefs are picking up font and/or color information from the xref target - or
somewhere - rather than from the underlying text. If I manually zap them with
'default para font', all is well until the document is opened again, the xrefs
are updated, and some (not all!) of them assume the wrong font/color again.

The xrefs are defined in the EDD as follows:

Element (CrossReference): XRef

        Attribute list
                Name: Idref     ID Reference    Required

        Initial cross-reference format
                In all contexts.
                        Use cross-reference format: Page

Nothing unusual there. Where this problem affects the font and/or color of the
xref, the character attributes of the xref itself show 'As is' rather than the
relevant attribute of the underlying text.

I seem to be able to fix this by including '<Default ? Font>' in the relevant
cross-reference format, but should I have to? Is this intended behavior?

--
Steve