Jacob wrote: "We have some footnotes in a structured FrameMaker
document (7.2) where
the call of the footnote is on one page, but the footnote itself finds
itself on the next page."

It's been awhile since we had this complaint! Sorry, Jacob, assuming
the problem is that the note requires more space than there is
between its number in the text and the bottom of the page (so
fiddling with Footnote Properties won't help), your only options are:
rewrite the note in fewer and/or shorter words and see if it jumps
back to the right page, and/or move the number in the text higher up
the page, if this would make sense (probably doesn't), and/or try a
tiny adjustment in line spacing. If no combination of these works,
make the note break across the page using anchored frames and text
frames. This last procedure takes a bit of describing so I'll send it
to you (and anyone else who asks) off-list.

The error in notehandling you've come across was programmed in from
the start, with the result that Frame's never had the penetration in
academic and legal markets that it otherwise deserves.

Graeme Forbes