My response had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH Type 1 versus TrueType.
It had to do with "taste" in fonts and was meant as a joke.

Arial has strong similarities to Helvetica (although it really can't
be called a "knock-off" due to many differences in style, although the
Arial shipped these days has "set widths" that closely match those of
the Helvetica base fonts in PostScript printers) - very bland san serif
font that may be great for road signage, but ...

        - Dov