From: Shlomo Perets [mailto:shlo...@microtype.com]
Sent: 28 June 2008 16:55
To: Jo Watkiss
Cc: framers at lists.frameusers.com
Subject: Re: Opening same-document links in a new window

Jo,

You wrote:

>Each of our product manuals is published as a single PDF file.  Within
>them there are frequent cross-references to destinations in the same
>file.  We have received a request for these links to open in a new
>window.  We insert these links as normal cross-references in
FrameMaker.

>Is it possible to achieve this without manually changing the links
>after the PDF file is generated?
>I know the user can do this with right-click > open link in new window,

>but it seems this is too difficult for them.

There is a local viewing preference in Acrobat or Reader that controls
whether a linked PDF opens in a new window.
In Acrobat 8: Edit > Preferences > Documents -- turn off "Open
cross-document links in same window" (it is turned on by default); in
previous Acrobat/Reader versions this preference is in the General
category.

Preferences apply to the Acrobat/Reader in the computer where the PDF is
viewed, but not to the PDF file itself.

[My FrameMaker-to-Acrobat add-on has a function that controls the "new
window" property globally or individually to FM
cross-references/hypertext links, so that no additional actions are
necessary after the PDF is created. This can also be optionally be
applied to PDFs displayed in a browser, so that web-based links will
display in a new browser window.
See http://www.microtype.com/ImprovePDF10.html for more information and
sample files.]

Shlomo Perets

MicroType, http://www.microtype.com * ToolbarPlus Express for FrameMaker
FrameMaker/Acrobat training & consulting * FrameMaker-to-Acrobat
TimeSavers/Assistants

Disclaimer    http://www.watkiss.com/terms.htm
This email is confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual to
whom it is addressed.
Any views or opinions presented are solely that of the author and do not
necessarily represent those of Watkiss Automation Ltd.
If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this
email in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or
copying of this email is strictly prohibited.
If you received this email in error please notify Watkiss Automation Ltd on
telephone +44 1767 685700.