Well, thank you kindly, Steve.

The mystery is contained herein: "On the printed page, serifs serve the
purpose of making the outline of each printed character distinct from
the background by creating a longer border between the printed character
and the background."

On the printed page, light reflected from the page surrounding the
printed character appears, to the eye, to form a smooth edge. Serifs
make the edge longer, thereby providing more information for the brain
to quickly recognize the character.

Following is a very broad generalization and varies according to
resolution, font, definition...

On the computer display, the characters and background are formed from
pixels. Pixels have smooth, parallel edges that enclose their color.
Sans serif fonts appear crispier on the display because the character
edge is more likely to mate with a pixel edge.