From: biozaichenko at hotmail.comTo: isaacs@adobe.comSubject: RE: ACTIVATING
FONTSDate: Sun, 7 Sep 2008 17:45:09 +0200

Dear Dov,thanks for such an extensive answer. I had no idea. What handles it so
far is de-activating, activating a set. Then it gets picked up by Frame too. I
probably will set it up so when i add font it is not activated and then click
activate and all will be good. Do you think its a good idea to go with extensis
or is ATM a prefered font manager? Michael

> From: isaacs at adobe.com> To: biozaichenko at hotmail.com; framers at
> lists.frameusers.com> Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2008 18:06:57 -0700> Subject: RE:
> ACTIVATING FONTS> > Michael,> > Contrary to what you may believe, FrameMaker
> has no "autoactivation"> option it it. Like other Windows applications, when
> a font is added to> the system, via Windows' standard "Add Fonts" control
> panel option or> via ATM (or for that matter any font manager that properly
> interfaces> with Windows), Windows' underlying font system sends a message to
> all> open applications advising of a change in the font system. An
> application> may then choose to query the system for all available fonts
> (font enumeration).> > If adding a font via Extensis Suitcase does not
> properly get notification> to applications about the change in the available
> fonts, it is likely an> issue with Suitcase.> > By the way, you are misusing
> the term "autoactivation." The term> "autoactivation" would refer to the
> scenario whereby your document (in this> case, a FrameMaker document) refers
> to a font that isn't currently installed> on your system. "Autoactivation"
> would cause the font manager to look for> the desired font in its own private
> collection of available, but not installed> fonts, and if such a font was
> available, automatically and immediately install> that font on the system and
> advise the application of its availability.> > For better or worse, such an
> "autoactivation" capability normally requires> "cooperation" (i.e., a
> programming interface) with the application programs> that could make use of
> same. Neither FrameMaker nor ATM support any> "autoactivation" mechanism.> >
> - Dov> > > -----Original Message-----> > From: Michael Zaichenko> > Sent:
> Saturday, September 06, 2008 11:20 AM> >> > Hello Framers,> > Been using ATM
> for years. FrameMaker has this autoactivation option in it which is only
> compatible> > with ATM. I.e. when you install a font - it gets picked up by
> FrameMaker instantly. I'm trying> > Extensis Suitcase now and noticed that
> unless I restart FrameMaker - the fonts wouldn't show up and no> > messages
> would pop up that the new fonts are installed. ATM is all good when one is
> using a stable set> > of fonts. But what if I'm having about 20 differently
> mapped fonts and depending on a language I would> > just install the fonts
> for that language. Fonts are with the same names. In this wise I don't have
> to> > make changes in the template documents. ATM only allows 1 version of a
> font (plus adds a confusion if> > you install true type and type1 version of
> the same font). I'm trying to swap over to Suitcase but> > then there is this
> bug with not activating fonts immediately (besides that it can't
> export/import> > set).> >> > Does anyone know how to go about it?> >> >
> Michael

Discover the new Windows Vista