Hi, Sue.

My FrameMaker training included Adobe's Classroom in a Book (
http://tinyurl.com/b3moea ), and FrameMaker's Help system. The Classroom in a
Book series is excellent because it's a tutorial that forces you to bump into
functionality that you might not otherwise be aware of. It comes with files on
which to perform the tasks. If you sit down and do all the exercises in the
book in one day, you will become an intermediate FrameMaker user overnight.

Over the years, a lot of coworkers have praised FrameMaker: The Complete
Reference ( http://tinyurl.com/b3xd7z ) for solving various issues, but not as
initial training.

Adobe has some decent training resources on their website too, such as this
video: https://admin.adobe.acrobat.com/_a295153/p29205929/

As to converting Word documents to FrameMaker, it's generally a painful process
because most Word documents are not carefully structured using paragraph and
character styles.

Word 2007 and FrameMaker 7 (and later versions) have good structured authoring
features, so it's possible to use XML DTDs to bring structured Word content
into FrameMaker. A Word --> RTF or PDF --> FrameMaker path may help bring in
formatted content.

If your Word content is not structured, you're probably better off just
converting them to plain text, pasting it into your FrameMaker template as Body
text, and then reapplying the appropriate paragraph and character styles.

Thanks,

--Jared