FrameMaker 8.0p277, Windows XP SP3.

Am I correct that FrameMaker's behavior when you type an Enter in
conditionalized text changed before version 8.0? The behavior I'm seeing in
FM8.0 seems flat-out wrong to me, and is driving me crazy.

I older versions of FrameMaker (at least through 7.0, which is the other
version I have on my system), if you type Enter with the insertion point at the
very end of a paragraph that is conditionalized, you get a conditionalized
pilcrow in the existing paragraph and the new paragraph is unconditional. This
was a little annoying if you wanted the next paragraph to also be conditional,
but there was an easy workaround, which was to always keep a space between the
insertion point and the end of the paragraph. That way, the new paragraph would
be non-empty, and FrameMaker would apply the condition to it. Perfectly
logical, and everything just worked.

But in FrameMaker 8.0, if you type Enter in a paragraph that is entirely
conditionalized, the *new* pilcrow (the one that is inserted at the end of the
conditional paragraph you've been typing is always *unconditional* and the
*following* pilcrow is always *conditional*. This is just plain wrong, because
the unconditional pilcrow on the otherwise conditional paragraph will always
produce an extra line space when you hide the condition. And if the following
paragraph is actually non-conditional, having a conditional pilcrow at its end
will make it collapse into the paragraph that follows it when the condition is
hidden.

I find myself having to spend a lot of time manually conditionalize and
unconditionalizing pilcrows throughout the documents I work on. And it's only
made worse by the fact that the developers who write the initial drafts of the
docs and apply the conditions usually don't even see the pilcrows because the
won't follow my advice to always work with View Text Symbols turned on.

Am I the only person who has noticed this? I wasted about a half hour trying to
find anything about this misbehavior in the Adobe Knowledgebase. Does anyone
have a workaround? Does FrameMaker 9 behave the same way (not that I'd be able
to recommend having to spend money to upgrade the dozen or so developers to the
new version...)?

Fred Ridder