Hi, Laurie:

I'm an Adobe ACE for FrameMaker and InDesign, and I'm writing a book
for FrameMaker users who want to learn to use InDesign for the same
kind of long and complex technical publications. So, I've been looking
closely at the similarities, differences, workarounds, and tradeoffs
between the products, as well as the issues of cross-training both
FrameMaker and InDesign users to the opposite product.

Briefly:

* ID's conditional text (new in CS4) compares well to FM's.

* ID's cross-references (new in CS4) compare well to FM's.

* ID's numbered lists (significantly improved in CS4) , books, and
generated lists and indexes compare well to FM's.

* ID's variables compare well to FM's.

* There's no exact counterpart for FM's text insets in ID, though ID's
ability to import ID files may suffice in some situations.

* If any kind of help system is a requirement, or will be, FM is the
winner here; ID currently has nothing so closely matched as Robohelp.
However, ID's XML and tagged text could be enlisted for some kind of
conversion to work with a help-creation tool.

* ID's XML isn't up to FM's. ID'a structure features are not on the
same level as FM's structured authoring features.

On my new Mac-Intel MacBook Pro, I've started using FM 9.x under
Windows 7 public beta release candidate with VMware's Fusion 2
application. So far, it's the FM I've always known, and it's only a
keystroke or two to move between Mac OS X and Windows 7, just like
switching between applications on standard Mac or Windows. BootCamp
Requires a separate partition and can't switch between
concurrently-running OS X and Windows - you need to restart. Parallels
and Fusion don't have this limitation. Fusion and Parallels can easily
keep Mac and Windows files on a single file system, so any application
on either OS can work with any file it recognizes. BootCamp is harder
to set up for sharing files, and, again, can't switch between OS X and
Windows without a restart.

If there was an open-source replacement for FM, with all of its
features and reliability, we'd all know about it.

HTH

Regards,

Peter
Peter Gold