Hi all,

I thought this was an interesting topic, and I wanted to jump in as well.

I see three possible issues, listed from easiest to hardest to solve:

1.  Despite your efforts, the doc doesn't meet the needs of the field engineers.

As others have pointed out, your text can be verbose. Are these files and
emails to the point, with clear instructions in their simplest form? I'm
talking about bulleted or numbered lists with short one or two line items. Or
maybe it's a timing issue: they don't have the info once they make it to the
customer site. Is the file easy to find in the installed updates? Can you give
them the information in a popup somehow (either when they obtain the update or
when they install it)? Could you put it on a website (internal or external,
depending on the need) that everyone learns to use as the central source of
info? Ask the engineers in question what would help them.

2. There is a lack of cooperation, not due to the docs themselves.

Different groups competing internally for the attention of others is a
universal problem. I've see notices posted above the microwave/coffee machine
in the break room. I've seen teams offer food at meetings, and $10 or $20 gift
cards to people who contribute to a cross-team project. It's sad that this sort
of incentive is necessary, but that's what some people respond to.

3. There is a mismatch in the corporate culture.

You seem victimized by their "barbs" yet you don't say if management is
involved. If I thought I was providing the information to someone, and they
pretend not to have it and then blame me for not providing it, I would bring it
up with my manager. You have to take the emotion out of it and try to resolve
the issue, appealing to the good of the company if necessary. Perhaps with
managers as facilitators, you can communicate better with the engineers to
reach a solution though 1 or 2 above.

It seems you're located in India, and I don't know how office politics are
different from the US, but I know I'd be frustrated with and stand up to
uncooperative co-workers. I don't know what the job market is like their
either, but people have changed companies for situations like this as well. You
just have to be sure it's not something you can fix yourself first, otherwise
the problem might show up again somewhere else.

Best of luck,

  Andy

akass at jaspersoft.com