On 4/26/10 7:07 AM, Chris Despopoulos wrote:

> And with desktop software.  The next wave (you heard it here) is servers and
> services.  Currently, the software innovation I'm aware of is in managing
> networks, whether managing an array of devices and applications, streams of
> financial data, or encoding/decoding&  QOS for multimedia.  Even if you just
> run it on a local host as various servers and/or virtual machines, your
> software will soon all be services swapping information via XML an/or other
> transports.  FrameMaker per se has a limited shelf life in this scenario.
> Instead, technical documentation will be written in pieces scatterd across
> the cloudscape, and glommed into a coherent thought at the last possible
> moment.  The race will be to the last possible moment.  Ultimately, that will
> be as the reader asks about his current concern with his current (and fluid)
> configuration.
>
> Are you surprised that companies are putting 20-year old software out to
> pasture?  FrameMaker still works, so go ahead and use it.  But think about
> this...  What was the latest innovation they gave us?  A new GUI.  Big whoop.
>  Why don't they implement a WIKI-to-Book round trip application?  Why doesn't
> Adobe implement a document server that steps ahead of Eclipse Help, that you
> can install on a local host, a LAN, a WAN, an appliance machine, or to
> federate a cloud of appliance docs?  I can't answer that.  But that's where
> this is headed.  Changing FrameMaker from a 10-speed to a 13-speed doesn't
> cut it.  Neither does an amplified choice of colors.

Yeah, well, I suppose someone will have to try doing it that way. Good
luck to you if you are the one. I don't suppose that writing that way
will be easy, or even doable with a coherent result within the,
probably, agile development cycle. So deadlines and quality will
definitely have a problem.

Scott