Jo:

I am currently incorporating SolidWorks (2009) mechanical drawings into an
unstructured FM 9 Service Manual. I have not yet created a PDF of the entire
book, but a PDF of a sample drawing page, opens quite quickly.

This is my process:

"My" mechanical engineer creates the drawings from a full rendition of our
product - which is massively complex and involves dozens of SolidWorks files.
However, when he has completed the view I need, he saves it directly to a much
simpler AI file.

I use Illustrator and convert the AI to an EPS and add all the markings I need
re: part numbers, tool types, etc.

The original AI file is maybe 1MB in size (the final EPS is larger) and whether
in AI or EPS format, it allows me to manipulate any line within the drawing (I
believe this is a function of SolidWorks 2009. In earlier versions, the
Mechanical engineer had to manipulate the drawing for me as it was not nearly
as AI friendly).

I then import the finished EPS by reference into the file I want (each drawing
is a separate file, although they are all part of the same Appendix in the
Book).

So far, I have no complaints with performance when I open a single sample
drawing saved to PDF, although I think my completed Service Manual PDF will
likely end up being huge.

HTH, Alison

Alison Craig, Technical Writer
Ultrasonix Medical Corporation