Alan Litchfield wrote:

>... There is no value that I see in trying to dictate to the reader what
>they will see at any specified zoom. The reader will decide what is
>`good enough' for their viewing pleasure.  ...

Forcing a specific zoom (related to the DPI value at which the screen
captures are placed in FM) is indeed not practical, especially since
readers can easily switch between view settings of Fit Page, Fit Width etc.
(that result in different zoom levels in different computers/screens).

However, this variable zoom effectively guarantees that the rendering of
screen captures will be suboptimal, with different levels of distortion
(missing pixels and/or blurred display). This is not a problem when the PDF
is primarily intended for print purposes, but many PDFs are primarily used
on-screen (even when the intended use is print, e.g. to benefit from
interactivity/search).

No easy solutions, unfortunately. Displaying the screen capture without any
distortion is possible through "off-page" display -- see different examples
at http://www.microtype.com/ImprovePDF29.html .

[ The same issue applies directly to the display of SWF screen movies
(where FM8/9/10 only support in-document placement; distortion of movie
display in the PDF is practically guaranteed), see comparison of playback
modes at http://www.microtype.com/showcase/MultimediaAsst/PlaybackModes.pdf
or
http://www.microtype.com/showcase/MultimediaAsst/PlaybackModes-Native.pdf ,
Acrobat/Reader 9 or higher ]

Shlomo Perets

MicroType, http://www.microtype.com
FrameMaker/TCS training & consulting * FM-to-Acrobat TimeSavers/Assistants