I think that you chose well by having a digital version and a print version.
That immediately solves one of the major problems.

I use the rubric "save big and shrink down", that is, make relatively big
images and then scale them down. Scaling algorithms do reasonably well at
throwing away information. Nothing does well at creating information from
nothing. The larger the original image, the more pixels you have for any
particular image point. The algorithm can always throw away extra pixels or
color levels.

Multiple scaling is also a no-no. Scale the image *once*. Scale the document
it goes into *once*. Scalings are multiplicative.

Alas, not enough formats out there support vector graphics. We're incredibly
fortunate that the world has adopted what are essentially vector fonts.