We used to routinely save books of 1000+ and 2000+ pages into RCS as MIF. It's
true that the diffs were so many that they were useless as a way of seeing what
changed. But since we couldn't save the binaries in that environment, we had to
use MIF for revision control. And storage was (is!) cheap.

Craig