I have a fondness for Minion or Garamond. I think you can find a free font that
is similar to these. However, the cost is relatively small, so purchase should
be considered.

The advantage if Minion and Garamond is that they both have a relatively low
height to width ratio, making them very readable. If you opt for a free font,
look for that. Avoid Times, it's narrow, designed for newspaper columns.