I gotta generally agree with Matt. Occasionally I run into an
information modeling project that I can knock off in an afternoon, but
that's pretty rare. Remember that you will not only need to model
"block" content (topics, headings, paragraphs, lists, etc.), but also
tables, cross-references, images, etc. The latter set can be a bit
tricky. Plus, oh, your metadata.

With DITA or DocBook, you also get a publishing framework. Also usually
non-trivial to create from scratch, especially if you are publishing to
multiple output formats, using filtering, content re-use, etc.

I'll mention with some regret that FrameMaker's DocBook support is
pretty poor. I've never figured out why...the "typical" use cases for
both (books, PDF) line up very well. It may be a chicken-and-egg
issue...I suspect more people would use DocBook if FrameMaker provided
better DocBook support.

-Alan