The increased threat is the adoption of subscription payments where
previously different mechanisms were used to pay for this stuff. Now,
much is online and therefore vulnerable.

It is the point you make that is the issue (and the answer to your own
question). What happens when your license expires? When a person takes
the default the option to have credit card details saved and reused at
renewal time, then that opens the doors for the criminal element to
"have a go". That is an increased threat.

Why should we trust a corporation for whom we have no direct
relationship, especially those who work within? A corporation that
wants no relationship with us except to provide a product and dictates
a payment method that provides the threat of harm? Yet, there is an
expectation of trust when credit card and other details are provided.
Adobe plays a patriarchal role in selectively ignoring pleas from its
customers (dependants) and in return those dependants respond with
increased offerings of trust and forgiveness when any kind of weakness
on the part of the patriarch is displayed. Dependants are caused to
question their own values and belief in the system when they ought to
be questioning the system's values and making demands that services
are provided so that trust is warranted.

Alan

--
Dr Alan Litchfield
AlphaByte