Hello, Framers,

I’ve got an appendix that now should be shared among three different products’
docs, and among multiple docs for the same product, and I’m looking for best
practices re: conditions vs. variables vs. text insets.

(Sorry this is a long post. Just click delete if you’re not into the minutia of
this stuff. Otherwise, you’ll see my specific questions marked by “**Q”.)

The relevant diffs in this appendix are:

  1. Product name—Scattered throughout the content, where it talks about things
such as “<product-name> scripts” and “<product-name> script entry”.

  2. Doc part number—Appears in headers. I already have a variable that’s
different in every doc, so this is taken care of.

  3. Info that’s only for the original product in which this appendix
appeared—Phrases and standalone sentences in almost every reference entry for a
script element. But the point isn’t that it’s only for the first product, but
for when we’re describing lower-level code details, which we do for some
products but not all. I’ve used a condition, __INCLUDE_<struct-name>_info,
which seems straight-forward and easily extended for future products without
getting into exactly which products need this content.

  4. Sample script file—Different for each product.
So two are easily managed, and I’m looking for advice on the other two:

* Item 1 (product name): Conditionals would be a real pain, and I’d have to add
a new condition every time I needed this appendix for another product/doc. A
variable could be used, which I guess would be .fm file-specific.

But the odd thing here is that I already have a variable for one of the
products (for which there are two docs), but this variable isn’t named
generically; it’s name is “_prod_name_<short-version>” because there’s a space
in the actual product name, and I wanted to ensure that the product name didn’t
break across lines. So if I wanted a variable for this new use—to control which
product name is included in the content—I’d either have to commit variable
abuse (assigning a value that contradicts the actual variable name) or add a
new variable.

**Q: Adding a new variable seems best, with a generic name. But should that
variable be just for this file, or should I make it more general and use it
across all files in a book?

* Item 4 (different script file): This wouldn’t be hard to manage with
conditions—just add a condition for each product or product-component—but I’m
concerned with proliferating conditions. I’ve tried hard to keep the conditions
to a minimum to avoid getting into complex condition evaluation and usage. And
I just don’t know what the future will bring.

So an alternative thought is to have a separate .fm file for each book (for
each product or product-component, that is), which would include a text inset
that contains only the common content (with variables and conditions as
described above), and then directly include the specific script sample.

**Q: Are there issues I should look out for in terms of using variables and
conditions (the __INCLUDE_<struct-name>_info) in a text inset? Perhaps it’s
best to create a set of conditions now for each product/product-component on
the assumption that they’ll likely turn out useful in the future? Are there
easier/better-suited mechanisms that I’m just overlooking?

Thanks for the advice,
-Monique