Starting with your first bullet, I'd ask what is she supposed to
accomplish? Is this defending your job? The department? Looking for ways to
improve? Maybe it's a rhetorical question and her audience already knows
what they want to hear.
Also, IMO bullet points invite argument. It's better to control that
somewhat by posing some common cases of "doc failure" and showing what went
wrong.
For example:
*Symptoms and Causes of Doc Failure*
Technical audience does not use doc, thinks it's too "marketing-ish" - Not
writing to a well-understood target audience
Operator audience does not use doc, too much "theory" - Not writing to a
well-understood target audience, Including too much information
Admin audience does not use doc, too "push-button" - Not writing to a
well-understood target audience, Including too little background information
Doc production cycle is always in crisis mode - Failure to bring
documentation into the project early enough in the project

On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 12:48 PM, <john.x.pos...@us.hsbc.com> wrote:

> Hi, guys...by end of today, I need to present to my manager a few bullet
> points for a presentation she is doing on Monday.
>
> The subject is: "What Causes Documentation to Fail"
>
> I've started with a few points:
>
>    Not writing to a well-understood target audience
>    Including too little or too much information
>    Failure to bring documentation into the project early enough in the
>    project
>    Failure to establish a governance, review, and approval structure
>    Lack of clear  roles and responsibilities
>    Belief that “anyone can produce acceptable documentation”
>    Lack of feedback early enough in the process to implement without
>    wasting a large amount of work and/or affecting deadline
>    Scope creep
>
> Anyone want to add more to the list?
>

> John X Posada
> SR AML Syst & Ops Supt Data Analyst | Global Risk Analytics | HSBC North
> America Holdings Inc
> 330 Madison Ave., NY NY
>
>  __________________________________________________________________
>

>  Phone
>       Int: 212-525-5483 Ext: 646-735-1857
>  Fax
>       Conference Bridge - 877-304-0052, Code 74809254
>  Email
>       john.x.pos...@us.hsbc.com
>
>  __________________________________________________________________
>  Protect our environment - please only print this if you have to!

> errors or omissions.

<http://www.actifio.com/>        *John Sgammato, Documentation Architect*
*e* john.sgamm...@actifio.com  *c* 508.927.2083
*t* @actifiodocs <http://twitter.com/actifiodocs>

333 Wyman Street, Waltham, MA 02451
<http://twitter.com/actifio>    <http://www.linkedin.com/company/399246>
<https://plus.google.com/102870897962348937868/posts>
<http://www.youtube.com/user/actifio>    <http://www.actifio.com/>

*Manage, access, and protect your data with a single platform that saves
you time, money, and complexity.*