You want to use defined formats for everything in FrameMaker and not format as
you go. Starting with anything that has cruft in it is likely to give you
remnants of formats that lie around on master pages, the various catalogs, etc.
My take is that all beginning uses should design a template from the ground up
to make sure they understand how all the different Framemaker containers work.

The File > Import Formats menu choice gives you a pretty good idea of what's
important.

[cid:c37663a5-d84d-4073-81ad-3f7895b539a4]

Here's how I would arrange the container hierarchically:

Document Properties

Page Layouts (i.e. Master Pages)

Reference pages

Paragraph Tags

Character Tags

Table Tags

Cross Reference Definitions

Variable Definitions

Conditional Text Formats

Object Styles

Starting with an absolutely blank template (i.e. all of the above containers
empty of anything that defines their character), you can set the document
properties as you desire, create a master page, a reference page, a series of
paragraph tags, character tags, table tags, cross reference definitions,
variable definitions and conditional text formats to populate your template.
You can then create another template using the same names to create another
view of your content, which can be very different from the first view.

Doing this from scratch demonstrates the power having names for instances of
each of the container instances.

When I create a template for anyone, I create a reference document that ticks
through the containers. Headings are used for each container and examples of
all the named elements within the container are described. (For example: Master
Pages: Left, Right, First; Paragraph Tags: 1Head, 2Head, Body; Char
tags:strong, emphasis, code, etc. etc. etc.

So think of FrameMaker as a series of containers within containers: Document,
Page, Paragraph, CharTag, etc etc.

So much for the sky-high overview.

Craig