From: Framers [mailto:framers-bounces+caroline=radcom....@lists.frameusers.com]
On Behalf Of Dennis Brunnenmeyer
Sent: Tuesday, November 29, 2016 18:47
To: FrameMaker Posting
Subject: [Framers] Who's in charge?

FrameMaker 7.2, Unstructured
Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit
Target output: PDF only

As a relatively new beginner, I hate to bother experts with this question, but
where can I find concise information about the topics below. I have the
original Adobe 7.0 book as well as their Classroom In A Book. Neither of them,
as far as I can tell, address the overall concept of how these tools described
below interact with each other.
Instead, those books seem to be just a list of step-by-step procedures on how
to accomplish tasks.

Oh, and I also have The Complete Reference / FrameMaker 7 book by Sarah O'Keefe
and Sheila Loring. It's size alone is intimidating, but maybe the information I
need is somewhere in there.

It seems to me that there are three ways to affect paragraph styles:  1)
Paragraph designer while in Body view mode, 2) Paragraph designer while viewing
Master and Reference Pages, and 3) the Formatting Bar.

Compounding my confusion is the fact that there are character and paragraph
styles on the Reference pages that aren't in the Character catalog and
Paragraph catalogs.

When working on a paragraph on the body pages, it seems like the Formatting bar
and the Paragraph designer sometimes "disagree" with each other. Trying to
change the  Default font style for a paragraph sometimes doesn't "take hold,"
meaning no visible changes are made when applying the desired change.

If I want to change the color of the text in a paragraph designer, do I need to
create a new character format or a new paragraph format?

Again, all I'm looking for, as far as I can tell, is a proper reference
document that explains the interaction between these tools,  a general
discussion of when and how they interact, and which one to use.

Thanks.

Dennis...