In FrameMaker, is there any way to create a block of code you can
select by double- or triple-clicking?

That seems far more useful to me than the appearance. If the box
doesn't indicate that I'd just skip it.

I certainly wouldn't wrap the code in a table since that can make
extra work when you're generating HTML or migrating from FrameMaker to
another tool.