This might seem like a naive question, but why not write up a User
   Guide for using your templates and modifying existing documents? Let
   them stay in FrameMaker, especially if they don't anticipate restyling
   (and when they do, they can call and you can knock it out).

   There's nothing particularly, uniquely difficult about FM from an
   authoring perspective. In fact, if you make a custom toolbar (and
   comment out the overrides toolbar and other cruft) then it can be WAY
   easier for authors to use FM than give them all the rope in Word with
   which to hang themselves.

   I'd even go so far as to ensure that your template(s) 'self-document':
   They use every style, and in using them, explain how/when/why you pick
   a particular style from a catalog. That's also where you have your
   table of variables, for easy updating and reapplying (and instructions
   for same).

   Now, perhaps the client does not want to pay you for such SOPs and some
   training time. But I would argue that they are throwing bad money after
   good, to 'strip down' from the power of FM into the mud of Word.

   Of course, if "no one else at the company [has] FrameMaker" then you
   gotta to do what you gotta to do. Refer to all the other responses with
   their robust conversion processes! But even then, I'd STILL write up
   SOPs for using the Word template(s) properly, ESPECIALLY if you find
   that you need to do a lot of section manipulation to mimic FM's
   normally-book-level formatting (chapter-by numbering, variable first
   and recto/verso H/Fs, running H/Fs, etc).

   And expect a phone call in, oh, three months. ;-)

   HTH;

   David