What does this doc look like to end users? Is that going to change, or
will it stay the same and the developers just want you to reduce the
amount of work they have to do?

Is their ideal that they could just plug what you give them into their project?

Are we talking about a web application here?

If your software team wants you to provide different output, there's
no reason they should care what source format or tools you use.