From: Framers <framers-bounces+ramona.blackmon=fluke....@lists.frameusers.com>
On Behalf Of Dennis Hays
Sent: Wednesday, October 20, 2021 6:20 AM
To: framers@lists.frameusers.com
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: [Framers] Contents of Framers digest... Why so many of
us feel the way we do....

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not click
links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content
is safe.

Way back in the dark ages, when FrameMaker was first ported to Windows, I
worked with a FM staff member, Mercedes (still fondly remember her), to address
bugs and issues. She sent me updates via overnight courier and these were
multiple disk sets, calling for a fresh install. The reason I remember her name
is because we talked almost daily and installation disks arrived weekly or more
until the issue count dropped.

Of course, I don't expect this level of customer service anymore from any
software publisher, but through the years I have had bits and pieces of
exemplary support. On a contract to bring a trade book to press, I worked with
Dov over the phone as to why illustrations with schematics wouldn't reproduce
lines. and this from the printer's site in Michigan.
More recently, I worked with Adobe to resolve an issue where importing and
converting a MS Word document crashed FrameMaker (MS Word Track Changes caused
the problem - this was last year).

I am not happy with the subscription model as I believe it's an egregious
affront to hold the software hostage when missing a subscription payment. From
a business point of view, it's a cash flow solution, reducing the seasonal
vagaries of software sales. But it's not customer-centric.  And this is a
problem.

A while back, someone on this forum mentioned difficulty finding a FrameMaker
manual. I have a 1241 page Adobe PDF version dated June 1,
2021 on the cover page. It's a 46MB file, but if anyone wants a copy, I'll post
it where it can be downloaded.

Dennis Hays
Ex-Publisher of the now-extinct InFrame Magazine

--
DENNIS
Hays

+1 518.779.2322