Daniel Nouri wrote:
> Martin Aspeli wrote:
>
> My impression was that ploneout would at some point grow a deployment
> configuration.

Most of that is already there. It knows how to download tarballs of
Products and install them, so you can take the Plone-2.5.2 tarball as a
base, use a specific Zope release tarball and use specific versions of
some eggs and build you a Zope instance with all those things in it.
That's at least the basic requirements I see for a deployment.

> I've been working with buildout before[2], but I still find it hard to use
> (not as someone who only executes bin/buildout obviously, but as someone
> trying to make a testrunner script, for example).

I'm not sure if the testrunner is the real problem here ;) I managed to
adjust the zopectl test command in my instance script, so it does work
for all eggs and products. But it's rather hacky and I would much prefer
if this wouldn't be necessary in the first place.

>>  - It works in Windows. :) I have no idea how hard it's to make ploneenv
>> work on Windows, but I hope it's not too bad. The scripts Hanno wrote do
>> give us a near-proper zopectl for Windows as well, which is nice. I
>> imagine these could be adapted to be used with plain Zope instances,
>> though. I assume workingenv gives us setuptools script support locally
>> as well.
>
> Support for Windows should be fairly trivial.  I would appreciate it if
> someone (Hanno?) gave it a try.  Basically, all we need is the correct way
> to patch bin/zopectl so that it runs the bin/activate.bat script before
> startup.  We shouldn't seriously consider "runs on Windows" as an argument
> for ploneout, just because ploneenv hasn't seen a Windows developer yet. :-)

Nope. Windows support for zopectl is a lot harder then just some path
fiddling. But the real issue with it is not really something that is an
argument for ploneout, I just took the time to implement it in it, it
could be a separate package as well. The basic problem with it is, that
it relies on Unix-specific thread handling for the
start/stop/restart/debug/status options, but it calls the internal
status command at every start of the script, so on Windows it fails
before you can do anything with it. I adjusted the internal status
handling, so it doesn't look for the Unix specific stuff but should look
if a Windows service of the instance is installed and running. Ideally
this could move into Zope itself. I have seen that somebody implemented
something alike for instancemanager...

Hanno