PLIP 10900, adding popup form editing for portlets, is not complete and
should probably be moved from 4.1 to 4.x.

http://dev.plone.org/plone/ticket/10900

In attempting this PLIP, I ran into a problem which will need a more general
resolution: some of the widgets employed in portlet editing require
additional JavaScript.

Unfortunately, some of these portlet editors do not work at all without that
additional JavaScript support.

There are a couple of potential solutions:

1) Allow portlets to opt in or out (via some flag) from popup editing;

2) Figure out a way to discover required JavaScript.

The first might be a possible short-run solution; the latter is a long-run
puzzle.

In any case, I won't have the time to solve this for 4.1.