On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 6:52 AM, Geir Bækholt <pl...@baekholt.com> wrote:
> On 20-01-2011 16:57, Eric Steele wrote:
>>
>> I'd like to get a final consensus on whether or not PLIP 9327 will be
>> included in 4.1. From discussion last week, several of you wanted to hold
>> out until we knew whether collections and search results would be in. At
>> this point, it looks like those two will be pushed off for 4.2.
>>
>> With 5 of 8 votes in, it stands at a +4 for inclusion. Are there any
>> objections to my considering it approved?
>

> I was told to prioritise documentation, but i'll be happy to convert default
> listing templates or portlets to use it.
>

> One of the more important cases with contentlisting is to make it easier to
> start using it as an integrator and that addons can depend on it. For that
> is important that it is included, not an addon.

That sounds like framework proliferation to me.  If an addon wants to
use this API then they can add it as a dependency; that's not a huge
burden after all.  If either the search improvements or the
collections were ready, then we'd at least be providing some examples
of how to use the library in Plone and some indication that it was a
recommended API.  As it is, it just seems to add further confusion to
Plone's developer/integrator story.

The PLIP had explicitly removed conversion of the templates as a goal.
 Also, it's not entirely clear whether such a conversion would be
appropriate for a 4.x release, since such changes could break
customizations which rely on the macros, etc. from the current
implementation.

Alec