Hi Issa,

as Marilyn points out, there are many ways to do this and the idea is to
experiment and have fun with it.  My favorite media to use are Sharpies and
Prisma Markers for hand-coloring (these provide bold, vivid colors), Jacquard
silk fabric dyes with tiny 00 - 05 watercolor brushes (more earthy tones), and
SpotPens which use photographic retouching oils (very subtle pale colors).  I
have gotten mixed results with Dr. Martin's translucent watercolor ink, but
prefer the Jacquard.  I color on processed reversal and/or negative film of any
type, though some stocks are definitely more porous than others. I also color
on vintage projection stock in the form of found footage purchased from ebay
and other sources.  In addition to hand-coloring and painting, i also do a lot
of scratching into the emulsion.  My favorite scratching tools are etching
needles and awls, available in different thicknesses.

You can see samples of the results that I obtain with these techniques by
checking out some of my works at the links below.

Other artists are also using airbrush inks and other media that I have not
gotten around to playing with yet. I'm sure you'll get lots of tips from this
list.

Good luck, play around and have fun.

enjoy today...

Dinorah de Jesús Rodríguez