Helen Hill's book, RECIPES FOR DISASTER, which I also highly recommend for
anyone who wants to delve into creating handmade film frames, is available
as a link to her Wikipedia entry <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helen_Hill>:

Scroll down to the External Links and you can download it as a pdf.

I've mixed inks of various colors with Golden Gel Medium (Semi-gloss) for
thick textures without losing color intensity while painting on film.  I've
also collaged this thick color with botanicals.

Best of luck with your filmic exploration,

CC

On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 7:33 AM, Michael Betancourt <
hinterland.mov...@gmail.com> wrote:

> You can also look around for a copy of Helen Hill's Recipes for Disaster
> which has a variety of processes for doing hand painting and hand processing
> (if you want to get into that too).
> I've seen pdfs around now and then, so try google, unless someone has a
> current link to post...?
>
> My own experiences have been with various markers (sharpie, etc. already
> listed.) As for the post-production, if you want to avoid the costs of an
> interneg or optical printing you can get the material scanned (or even just
> use a telecine a much lower resolution result) and then do things with it
> using Adobe AfterEffects. The results can be very interesting since that
> gives enormous control over the compositing and allows you to do everything
> that optical printing does with film.
>
> In any case, have fun!
>
> Michael Betancourt
> Savannah, GA USA
>

> michaelbetancourt.com
> twitter.com/cinegraphic | vimeo.com/cinegraphic
> www.cinegraphic.net | the avant-garde film & video blog
>

> On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 4:55 PM, Jason Halprin <jihalp...@yahoo.com>wrote:
>
>> Although I haven't done much handpainting myself, a few things that I know
>> work well are Pebeo brand paints and non-toxic markers. You can break the
>> markers open, remove the dye soaked core (usually foam), place that in a
>> little water, and then paint with the results. I've also had students using
>> food coloring, both straight and diluted, applied with everything from paper
>> towels to broken pencils.
>>
>> -Jason Halprin

Caryn Cline
Filmmaker and Teacher