From: kenpaulrosent...@hotmail.com
To: frameworks@jonasmekasfilms.com
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2012 10:30:12 -0800
Subject: [Frameworks] Canon 1014XL-S/ 814XL-S problems with 100D film stock

This issue first cropped up--for me--back in 2000 when I was teaching abroad in
Singapore for a couple of years. I was purchasing large blocks of super 8 film
from Europe--all stocks--and was receiving cartridges that had broken spindles,
or would stop mid-filming wherein the camera would flash the internal 'exposed'
signal. This was primarily happening with Kodachrome cartridges, years before
the EK 100D was released. From around 2004 to 2009, my students and I shot
dozens of EK 100D rolls for for hand processing tests/projects and I don't
recall a single cartridge issue, though its certainly possible the quality
control has plummeted. Anyway, when this issue occurred for me, I'd take note
of how much footage I'd shot, then pop the cartridge out, re-insert and
continue shooting. Most of the time that worked, but some times it did not.
I strongly suggest giving Marvin a call at Photo Center in LA. He's the man
when it comes to Super 8 camera issues and may suggest something apart from a
cartridge specific issue. It's possible that finer cameras, such as the 814 and
1014XLS are more sensitive to cartridge irregularities.

Ken

www.crookedbeautythefilm.com  (Academic)www.crookedbeauty.com
(Public)www.kenpaulrosenthal.com