David,

Your post come in just after I posted mine.

I'm sorry about your troubles. As I suggested earlier, everyone's
situation is different, and everyone is different. Maybe you had a
particularly bad situation. Maybe there were other reasons for your
troubles. There are people who try to show film on film and can't, and
there are some who succeed. But even when you can't, you can talk about
how the film shown on film actually looks, and recommend screenings if
there are any in your locale, in the same way that a good art history
teacher (of whom there are all too few) showing slides would talk about
what some of the art works actually look like.

I have posted many times that maintaining projectors will be a key choke
point in the future. Labs and prints stocks will be another problem. Yet,
at present, many do manage to keep their projectors going. And there are
still a lot of prints around.

You seem to be appealing to some form of "majority rules" -- not enough
care about film on film, so it will die out. Maybe you're right. Or maybe
a few of us will manage to keep it alive, for some decades into the
future. Who appointed you to write its obituary?

That you profess to care "very little" for the artist's intentions as to
how a work should be shown leaves me speechless. In my experience, many do
care, once the issue is explained. But I guess if one doesn't care much
then one doesn't even address the issue.

The specifics have been aired here many times: the differences between
film flicker and most forms of video, between projected film light and
other kinds of projection/display, between the physical look of projected
celluloid and the very different look of video. I don't prefer one to the
other. It is simply my claim that many of the best avant-garde (and other)
films come through far better in their intended format. This is not a
small question of "look" either. One might even say it's a question of
"ideology": that what the projected image presents itself as in relation
to seeing and to the world is something different from what most kinds of
video images present themselves as.

Fred Camper
Chicago