Before sending it to anyone, I would crack the case and try mounting it
internally or buy an inexpensive enclosure or SATA (if it is SATA) dock and see
if it spins up. I have had external drives actually go on fire and have been
able to recover them. It's usually the power supply or interface that goes,
though drive failures can occur.There can also be issues with corrupt
directories that can be resolved with software.

If you can get it to spin but can't get it to mount try Data Rescue II if
you're on a Mac. I've had good luck with it. You can try it for free to see
what it can recovery and then purchase it. You'll need a second drive to copy
recovered files to. I would stay away from any software that tries to fix the
drive like Norton or Diskwarrior.

Best of Luck

Bill Seery
b...@mercermedia.com