Christine,
this is exactly how you are supposed to use it.
One trick I can add is to place the hose downwards instead of facing
up - this way when you remove it you do not risk spilling any in case
the tank is full, it also reduces the chance of leaks because part of
the tube has to necessarily be above the tank level in order to then
come back down where it is secured.
-Pip Chodorov