> I have 2 eiki ssl, and 2 bell and howell filmo sound projectors, none of
> which came with speakers.

These generally DO come with speakers, internal to the projector body. If
you're not getting any sound, the problem is more likely the sound circuit of
the projector, not the speaker. But as Buck says, the 1/4" jack out is speaker
level, and should drive any external speaker, so you can check. Plugging in an
external speaker will probabaly mute the internal speaker. I think the SSL may
have two jacks, one for a speaker and one for line-level out.