Hi there,
I'm interested in suggestions of films and videos that make an effort to occupy
the "dialectical gap" between so-called lowbrow and highbrow culture; in
particular, work that addresses both mainstream popular culture as well as more
esoteric academic or artistic history. I'm not thinking so much of work that is
situated firmly in one or the other camps and makes an allusion to the other,
but rather work that makes a pretty concerted effort to split the difference.
Cory Arcangel's  work would be a good contemporary example. I'm particularly
interested in historical examples from the experimental film world and
suggestions of specific pieces. Also, if there's writing on this topic floating
around, lemme know!

THANKS,
Brent