What format are you shooting?  16? Super-16? Super-8? 35?  Video?

You can finish digitally -- not HD -- and from there go to either film
(typically 35mm) or HD or 2K DCP easily from any format.  The trick is, for
film, to scan at a resolution greater than HD, especially for small formats.
Makes a huge difference.

As for the quality of 35mm film outs from HD, note that a large percentage of
Hollywood films are now shot digitally, often with HD (as opposed to 4K)
resolution. That doesn't mean it's in any way superior to film, but it can be
perfectly good to most viewers.

The big question is where you will be showing this film -- if it is museums and
archives, any film format is ok, but, depressingly, film projection is
beginning to disappear, or the equipment is not maintained because of lack of
use.

Jeff Kreines
Kinetta
kinetta.com