My all-time favorite car movie is Fellini's Toby Dammit
http://youtu.be/loLRanmHTEY?t=4m34s
(at the Hammer Museum someone had paired it brilliantly with Carl Dreyer's
They Caught the Ferry—a motorcycle movie [does that count?])

Tony Lowe and Akiva Saunders' Arabian Drift is a compilation of Middle
Eastern/Saudi car culture, which maybe unexpectedly is closely tied to
homoerotic desire (this is not made explicit here but could be supplemented
with readings)
http://astral-projects.com/arabiandrift.html

Moonshine movies dig into the ideology of car culture:
Thunder Road
Moonrunners http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frYqIfzhKfc
The Last American Hero

There are some great car commercials:

Alexandre Alexeieff's Renault commercial:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHWsiyKfeZs (the quality here is poor, but
there's a good PAL dvd)

This 1963 German VW commercial is like a quirky little structural film:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5AVnrRcXqM

There's not only Cronenberg's Crash, but Ballard made his own
semi-adaptation of it for the BBC in 1971:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HT2eECKvdTc

W.C. Fields' Road Hogs from If I Had a Million is pretty stellar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDSW-ybm0mg

And what about Drive? Ryan Gosling is a dreamboat. The Transporter movies
would make an interesting contribution, particularly because they are
a commercial feature film franchise that emerged out of a BMW sponsored
short film series.

Good luck!

Jon

--
*SCREEN SLATE <http://www.screenslate.com/> / PUBLISHER/EDITOR /
INDEPENDENT, REPERTORY & GALLERY SCREENING LISTINGS*