Chuck, Helen Levitt's still camera was nothing specially design to
trick people. She used an eyepiece that is not unlike many of the
optical viewfinders that folks attach to DSLRs today. But, it did allow
her to point her body in a different direction, away from her subjects,
while she shot.

But, in regards to street photography, I've always thought of it as an
exploration of public space (as you alluded to Matt). For me, it is a
celebration of interactions: people with others, people with
architecture
and public spaces, subject and maker, etc.

I'd love to hear more about the project as it develops.

Joel

www.joelwanek.com